Hiring: Grant Writer
DAMAYAN MIGRANTS | OCTOBER 5, 2017
DAMAYAN WORKER ORGANIZER JOB DESCRIPTION
Damayan means “to help each other” in Filipino.
Damayan is a grassroots organization based in New York and New Jersey of and for Filipino im/migrant workers and led by Filipino women domestic workers. Damayan was officially founded in 2002 and became a 501 C 3 in 2003.
Our mission is to educate, organize and mobilize low wage Filipino workers to fight for their labor, health, gender and im/migration rights; to contribute to the building of the domestic workers movement for fair labor standards, dignity and justice; and to build workers’ power and solidarity towards justice and liberation.
We promote discussions on gender, race, class, globalization and forced migration to raise public awareness and support against the systemic causes of the exploitation of low wage workers, particularly migrant women domestic workers.
We envision the Damayan Worker Organizer partnering with staff to cultivate a space for workers that is welcoming open and safe. The duties are as follows:
- Regularly update membership database and other records systematized in Power base
- ID’s of members made and sent out within a reasonable time in partnership with admin
- Ensure new member recruitment and old member activation for a combined total of at least 10 workers per month at the minimum
- Lead the board membership committee
- Do outreach to mobilize members & community for all Damayan events or activities, by engaging the board membership committee
- Organize at least one house meeting every month
- Organize health fairs per year in collaboration with the board
- Organize General Assembly in collaboration with staff
Case Management (support)
- Create and maintain worker’s case files
- Update online database
- Accompany workers to appointments
- Find referrals to services for workers when needed
- Call workers for case updates and document in file
- Find resources for workers that is up to date
Trafficked Workers (Lead)
- Provide support and do intake of trafficked workers as delegated by the case manager
- Recruit new clients for tvap and refer to the tvap coordinator
- Provide support to trafficking campaign activities and events as delegated by the campaign coordinator
- Attend trafficking campaign committee meetings as needed
Board and Key Leaders (support)
- Organize one membership event engaging other leaders or one board/secretariat at least once or twice a year
- Coordinate outreach, venue, food and logistics in all BOD secretariat and full BOD meetings
- Strategize with the overall coordinator on how to leverage immigration to recruit more low wage workers to Damayan
- Create and implement a clear plan to recruit new members and reactivate old members
- Support case manager in organizing legal clinics
- Prepare materials for new intakes on current immigration policies
Alliance & Networking
- Represent Damayan in the monthly calls as needed
- Represent Damayan in events/retreats as needed
- Create weekly and monthly reports
- Create work plan in partnership with all staff
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIREMENT
LEVEL OF LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY
Fluent in Tagalog REQUIRED!
$13- 14 AN HOUR
New York, NY
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a cover letter and resume to the attention of email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Damayan Migrant Workers Association is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.