Damayan is Hiring! Damayan Outreach Coordinator
DAMAYAN MIGRANTS | February 18, 2018
DAMAYAN OUTREACH COORDINATOR JOB DESCRIPTION
Damayan Migrant Workers Association, Inc is an immigrant workers based and led 501 c 3 organization in NYC. Our mission is to educate, organize and mobilize low wage Filipino workers to fight for their labor, health, gender and im/migration rights; to contribute to the building of the domestic workers movement for fair labor standards, dignity, and justice towards economic and social justice for all.
Majority of our members and leaders are migrant domestic workers and a significant number are survivors of labor and human trafficking. Our community is experiencing severe anxiety and uncertainty in the current anti immigrant environment. However, we believe that workers hold the collective power to resist, fight and win. Although inherent, however, this power can only be unlocked through organizing.
With resources from partner foundations, we are seeking to hire the Damayan Outreach Coordinator that will work with the community organizers in providing support to our programs and ant trafficking campaign. Below are the job description and qualifications that we are looking for:
Outreach and Base building
• Do mass communications with members -group text, google voice, mass emails or facebook
posting on weeknights, twice a week to support outreach work for legal clinics, workers meetings,
coop meetings and other Damayan events, in partnership with the two community organizers.
• Plan and implement at least one of the following outreach event/activity per month: Recruit a
minimum of two outreach volunteers for every outreach activity or event
• street outreach -flyering, tabling
• house meetings- in partnership with the community organizers
• Do house visits at least once a month to follow up, build or rebuild connections with the emerging leaders and the old and inactive leaders.
• Recruit at least 3 new Damayan members per month.
Monthly Workers Meetings, Legal clinics and/or Damayan Events (SUPPORT)
• Provide outreach support and other assistance as requested, to organize legal clinics and workers meetings.
• Identify emerging leaders from the workers meetings and other events to follow up and engage members towards retention and leadership development
• Create quarterly and monthly work plans incorporating the above job description and activities with the approval of the lead case manager.
• Create monthly report.
• Do mid year and year end evaluations.
Commitment to Damayan vision, mission, experience, education and integrity
• Has consistent and demonstrated understanding and articulation of Damayan’s vision, mission, strategies, and programs
• Has at least 2 years of leadership roles and activities with Damayan.
• Has deep community connections and cultural sensitivities and has respect and trust from Damayan membership and the Filipino community.
• Ability to do group text, google voice and mass email communication and willing and able to do the relevant skills trainings
• At least high school graduate and/or equivalent experience
Fluency in Tagalog (Filipino Language) and basic understanding and writing in English
Part-time, between 12 hours to 16 hours a week
Manhattan, NY, and fieldwork in Queens, NY
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a cover letter and resume to the attention of email: email@example.com and
Damayan Migrant Workers Association is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.