HIRING: GRANT WRITER
DAMAYAN GRANT WRITER JOB DESCRIPTION
Damayan means “to help each other” in Filipino.
Damayan is a grassroots organization based in New York and New Jersey of and for Filipino im/migrant workers and led by Filipino women domestic workers. Damayan was officially founded in 2002 and became a 501 C 3 in 2003.
Our mission is to educate, organize and mobilize low wage Filipino workers to fight for their labor, health, gender and im/migration rights; to contribute to the building of the domestic workers movement for fair labor standards, dignity and justice; and to build workers’ power and solidarity towards justice and liberation.
We promote discussions on gender, race, class, globalization and forced migration to raise public awareness and support against the systemic causes of the exploitation of low wage workers, particularly migrant women domestic workers.
Overall Function: The Damayan Grant Writer will work with the Damayan staff to prepare proposals, reports, briefings, letters of inquiry and other written materials intended to cultivate and secure funding from foundations and government funders for Damayan Migrant Workers Association’s funding.
- Identify new prospective funders and develop strategies, in coordination with other Staff and natural partners, to approach those funders.
- Utilizing exceptional writing and editing skills, draft compelling, high quality, polished documents (including, but not limited to, proposals, reports, briefings, letters of inquiry and summary documents) for foundation and government funders
- Identify needs for new or revised materials, including assessing and resolving gaps in program content and framing.
- Interpret and follow institutional donors’ frameworks and requirements for articulation of Damayan programs
- Manage document and process flow, ensuring deadlines are met with high-quality products.
- Communicate and collaborate extensively with Damayan staff in carrying out tasks and responsibilities.
- Bachelor’s degree with a preferred background in English/communications/political science or other relevant major.
- Minimum of five years’ demonstrated success in non-profit grant and report writing.
- Knowledge of labor trafficking and migrant workers issues strongly preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and computer literacy.
- Excellent strategic thinking, planning, project management and organizational skills.
- Well-organized self-starter able to work as a strong team player as well as independently.
- An understanding of, and commitment to, Damayan Migrant Workers Association’s mission.
Location: This position location is flexible, preferably in Damayan’s New York Office.
Reporting: The Grant Writer reports to the Executive Director of Damayan
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIREMENT
Bachelor’s degree with a preferred background in English/communications/political science or other relevant major.
LEVEL OF LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY
$20 AN HOUR
New York, NY
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a cover letter and resume to the attention of email: firstname.lastname@example.org and
Damayan Migrant Workers Association is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.